South Bronx United is hiring. Additionally, travel soccer coaching positions are available. These come with a small coaching stipend. Feel free to inquire by sending a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
South Bronx United is currently hiring for the following positions:
• AmeriCorps Coach Across America Team Mentor (PT) (August 1, 2017 start date)
• AmeriCorps VISTA Development and Communications Associate (FT) (November 15, 2016 start date)
• Volunteer Coordinator - NYC Civic Corps (FT) (Sept 1, 2017 start date)
• Summer Teacher (Math and Humanities-based) (July 1, 2017 start date)
If you are interested in a position, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
|AMERICORPS CAA COACH & TEAM MENTOR (FT)|
The Coach Across America staff member would become a Team Mentor for one or two teams of youth within the SBU Academy Program. She/he would serve as an assistant or head coach for one or two teams, help with coordination of the SBU Recreational Soccer Program, and assist with program delivery of the SBU After School Tutoring or College Prep Programs for middle and high school students. Team mentors are the first point of contact for issues or questions concerning a youth on their team. This is a part time position requiring approximately 20-25 hours/week. A living stipend will be offered in accordance with the AmeriCorps part-time position policies. The Coach Across America program is operated by Up2Us.
In addition to site-specific duties, Coach Across America Coaches are also responsible for the following Up2Us CAA program requirements: Completing timesheets; Attending professional development and training seminars; Reflecting on their work in guided reflection logs; and Participating in a National Day of Service
Coach Across America is an intense experience and Coaches are asked to go above and beyond each and every day. Being a part of Coach Across America connects Coaches both with their local communities and a larger national movement of people dedicated to serving youth through sports.
As a Team Mentor, individual will:
• Serve as a mentor and adviser for 18-40 youth on 1-2 soccer teams.
• Set and communicate their mentees’ program schedule and plan,
• Collect report cards, transcripts, and school documents,
• Maintain weekly contact with each mentee in person and via phone,
• Maintain regular contact with mentees’ parent/guardian
• Communicate with students’ schools or outside programs as needed,
• Work with SBU youth counselor and education staff to identify social, emotional, and academic issues or concerns
• When applicable, collaborate with Education Director and Director of College Placement and Alumni, to support students with high school and college placement process (including public, charter, parochial, prep, and boarding schools).
• Serve as a head or assistant coach for 1-2 SBU travel soccer teams, planning and leading training sessions, coaching at games, and traveling with students to games and events.
• Track attendance data from soccer and academic sessions.
• Complete progress reports for each mentee two times per year.
• Assist with the After School Tutoring and/or College Prep programs, tutoring youth, managing the learning environment, and tracking student attendance.
• Help supervise the SBU Recreational Soccer Program on Saturday mornings/afternoons, setting up the field space and games, overseeing youth participants, and supporting volunteer rec coaches & referees.
• Assist with several major SBU events including volunteer appreciation nights, an end of the year awards ceremony, a winter celebration, the City Showcase Tournament and Symposium, and the SBU Annual Benefit.
South Bronx United, 594 Grand Concourse, Suite 2, Bronx, NY 10451
The following hours are approximate, times may change:
• Tuesdays & Thursdays, 3:30-8:00pm
• Saturdays & Sunday mornings/afternoons for games and leagues
Coaches will receive a $7,700 living stipend (approx) for their service over the course of 12 months, as well as an educational award of $2,865 (approx) upon completion of service to go towards loan repayment or future educational costs. All HR related matters are handled by Up2Us and AmeriCorps. Learn more about the CAA program at https://www.up2us.org/coach-across-america
How to Apply
Email email@example.com with a cover letter and resume
|AMERICORPS VISTA DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE (FT)|
South Bronx United is seeking energetic, caring individuals who are passionate about helpng provide youth in the South Bronx with the resources they need to succeed, to join our staff as an Americorps VISTA Development Associate. A VISTA Development Associate will increase South Bronx United’s capacity for development, fundraising, and marketing. He/she will have hands on work contributing to strategic and development plans, planning guides, donor databases, research and prospect lists, promotional materials, social media and newsletters, press releases, media inquiries, and more.
This is a full time position. A living stipend will be offered in accordance with an full-time position offered through the Americorps VISTA Program. The South Bronx United VISTA position is a partnership with Up2Us.
• Event Planning & Coordination: The Development Associate will assist with the planning and coordination of SBU’s 4th Annual Benefit, as well as supporting smaller fundraising events.
• Marketing & Public Relations: Associate will coordinate periodic marketing/promotional events and analyze their impact on the organization. Associate will work closely with the SBU Junior Board and the Executive Director on marketing, public relations, and community presence efforts, while playing an important role in maintain/improving SBU’s social media presence.
• Building Relationships and Donor Database: Associate will prospect for potential donors, sponsors, and supporters, cultivate relationships with existing donors, and document fundraising strategies.
• Fundraising Research: Associate will learn and implement strategies for researching potential new funders.
• Grantwriting: Associate will support grant writing efforts, including foundation outreach efforts.
• South Bronx United, 594 Grand Concourse, Suite 2, Bronx, NY 10451
• Monday – Friday, 10:00-6:00; Occasional Saturday/Sundays for weekend events
A living stipend is provided of approximately $15,000. An educational award of $5,775 that can used towards student loans or future educational expenses is provided on successful completion of the one year service term. Certain benefits are also provided. Learn more about the VISTA program at http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista
HOW TO APPLY
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume
|VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR - NYC SERVICE CIVIC CORPS|
Member Position Summary:
The NYC Civic Corps member will support the recruitment and management of South Bronx United’s volunteers, specifically tutors, mentors, volunteer instructors, and soccer coaches. The member will collaborate with staff and volunteer leaders to strengthen volunteer processes and training materials with the goal of recruiting more volunteers, improving the volunteer experience, improving program quality through volunteer training and preparation, and retaining more volunteers for longer periods of service.
The corps member will also have a direct connection to programs and volunteers by serving as a Team Mentor for a group of 14-22 boys or girls who participate in the SBU Academy program and a room coordinator during the SBU After School Tutoring and College Prep programs. He/she would provide a bridge between the team’s head volunteer soccer coach and off-the-field volunteers, including after school tutors, volunteer teachers, and college prep mentors. The member would collaborate with a social worker and educational director to monitor and support students personal and academic needs and to strengthen volunteer program service delivery. Specific volunteer projects include:
• Increasing volunteer recruitment. He/she will use online recruitment platforms, build relationships at college campuses, and build our “volunteer college ambassador program” and Volunteer Leader group.
• Effectively tracking and analyzing volunteer involvement.
• Developing consistent practices and communications around targeted recruitment, retention, recognition and volunteer leadership development.
• Working with staff to strengthen volunteer training, including trainings prior to and during service.
• Providing ongoing professional support, encouragement, and recognition for volunteers through their term of service.
Each Volunteer Coordinator will have a specific focus area of recruitment and management: academic programs, soccer programs, or immigrant services programs. After ten months, the member will have helped recruit more volunteers, encouraged volunteers to stay for the next semester or year, improved our volunteer management process, and have had a direct impact on the lives of a group of students by improving their experience in South Bronx United and providing a mentor that they can count on.
• Recruit and interview volunteer candidates
• Track and interpret statistics on recruitment and retention
• Create and administer a survey; collect and analyze survey data
• Research effective volunteer training methods and create training manuals
• Collaborate with staff to implement effective volunteer orientation and training sessions
• Maintain a database of volunteers
• Maintain strong relationships with supervisors, staff, volunteers, youth, and other organization members
• Provide recognition and encouragement to volunteers.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Has served as a volunteer in some prior capacity
• Ability to work collaboratively with diverse individuals.
• Effective in multi-cultural and cross-cultural settings and understanding of individuals of all backgrounds.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment and with a developing nonprofit organization.
• Flexible and adaptable to work in a variety of settings
• Strong administrative, computer, and writing skills.
• Proficiency with email, Google documents, and Microsoft Office
• Punctual and team-oriented
• (Preferred) Spanish and/or French fluency
• (Preferred) Experience in youth development
• (Preferred) Experience working with low-income, at-risk, or immigrant communities
The following hours are approximate. September 6 – July 14:
• Monday – Thursday, 11:00am-8pm
• Fridays, 10-6pm
• Occasional Saturday/Sundays for weekend events
A living stipend is provided of approximately $15,000, along with an educational award of approx. $5,775 that can be used towards student loans or future educational expenses is provided on successful completion of the one year service term. Certain benefits are also provided. All HR related matters are handled by NYC Service. Learn more about the Civic Corps program at http://www.nycservice.org/initiatives/3
HOW TO APPLY
For more information email Carlos at email@example.com with a cover letter and resume. There is a formal application you will need to complete through the NYC Civic Corps program.
|SUMMER TEACHER (MATH AND HUMANITIES-BASED)|
South Bronx United's mission is to use soccer as a vehicle for social change, helping youth build character, teamwork, and leadership skills so that they can succeed in high school, college, careers, their community and beyond. South Bronx serves 900 boys and girls, ages 4 through 19, each year by combining soccer with academic enrichment, college prep, mentoring, leadership development, health and wellness, and legal and support services for immigrant youth.
The Summer Soccer Scholars program is held each summer for 80 middle and high school students combining soccer, academics, and life skills to keep youth active and learning during the summer months. SBU Summer Soccer Scholars Instructors will serve as lead teachers during the academic portion of the program. They should attend both the program and the training.
Summer instructors will be responsible for teaching a 5-week academic enrichment course to classes of middle or high school youth. Math and ELA instructors will receive a unit outline and targeted Common Core standards for their specific grade level and subject. Instructors are expected to design the lessons, activities, and assessments for the course in collaboration with the Education Director. Instructors will teach two or three one-hour classes with a teaching assistant to 10-15 students.
Enthusiastic and caring with a specific interest in youth development. Math instructors should have a prior teaching experience, preferably in middle school math, geometry, or algebra. ELA instructors should have experience in teaching middle or high school reading and writing. Teachers should have experience teaching students between ages of 11 and 19, preferably in an inner-city setting. Experience in curriculum development, lesson planning, and differentiated instruction is preferred. Instructors should have strong classroom management skills. A masters or bachelors degree in an education related field is strongly preferred. No soccer background necessary.
Training: Tuesday-Friday 9:00am-1:00pm; first week of July. All instructors will be oriented and supervised by the Education Director. Instructors will attend a one-week orientation before the program begins. Additional training and supervision will be provided by SBU's Executive Director, a career educator and instructional coach.
Program: Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-12:30pm; mid July - mid August,
Where: Mott Haven High School Campus, 730 Concourse Village West, Bronx, NY 10451
$2,000 - 3 classes, $1500 - 2 classes
HOW TO APPLY
If interested in the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and cover letter expressing the reasons for your interest and your availability for the position. Please put the name of the position in the subject line.